CHEERS to 2013!Jan 01, 2014 Comments (0)
When Jamie and Nikos started Ninkasi in 2006, they never dreamed that in 7 years, THIS is where Ninkasi would be. As another year closes, we wanted to take the opportunity to look back and beam at how many fun, meaningful, and crazy awesome things our brewery got to do this year. Here are just a few of our 2013 highlights:
1) We grew!
In 2013 alone, we hired 22 new people to help Team Ninkasi produce more beer and get it to thirsty people all across the West coast!
And we were honored to be recognized as one of the 100 Best Companies to Work for in Oregon. We consider everyone who works at Ninkasi part of our family and spend every day trying to make Ninkasi a great place for them to work and play.
2) MORE growth!
We completed the bulk of the work on our brewery expansion that will triple our capacity and allow us to brew more delicious Ninkasi for all of you to drink!
3) Speaking of beer, we brewed A LOT of it!
In addition to our five flagship favorites, we produced 4 seasonal beers, 5 special releases, 4 prismatic lagers, 3 single hops, and nearly 20 Rare & Delicious brews.
4) And started packing it up in 12 ounce, 12 packs.
We heard people really dug the option to have more bottles to share with more of their friends, so we delivered.
5) We moved South AND North!
We knew SoCal's beer scene was the place to be with oodles and oodles of awesome craft beer fans living there, so we started sending Ninkasi south and it's been an absolute blast hanging out in this new region.
And we started distributing internationally when the first Ninkasi hit British Columbia!
6) We spread the love.
Through our Beer is Love Donations program we were able to partner with over 700 community organizations and nonprofits to help support their work in communities across Oregon, Washington, California, Alaska, Idaho and Montana!
These partnerships included beer donations to 1000 different events, where over 250,000 people were able to cheers their good friends and good programs in the community with a Ninkasi in hand.
We also partnered with Habitat for Humanity in Eugene to complete four projects by providing funds and volunteers through its A Brush With Kindness Program. And we worked with Sterling Bankto give $37,500 to local nonprofits and community groups.
7) We won a gold medal for our Bohemian Pilsner at the Great American Beer Festival!
This beer is now bottled and available in stores and bars across the west coast. Make sure you get your hands on some in 2014!
8) In addition to our medal-winning Pravda, we announced that 2014 will be a year of lots-o-lagers!
With the new expansion, we'll finally be able to brew a lager year-round. We've got a lot of lager expertise on our brew crew, so get ready to taste some majorly delicious lagers in 2014.
9) We focused on sustainability.
Kermit might try and convince you that it's not easy being green, but it IS important. We know that we’re brewing a lot of beer and we do not want to generate a lot of waste as we do this. So we’ve implemented many sustainability measures around the brewery to help us tread lightly on the environment including: solar panels on the roof, purchasing Water Restoration Credits, and partnering with local farmers to turn our spent grain into food for their cattle.
We were even voted one of the 100 Best Green Companies to Work for in Oregon.
10) We collaborated with friends at other breweries all over the WORLD.
Ninkasi put some stamps in our passport when we teamed up with Caledonian Brewery in Scotland AND when we partnered with Parallel 49 in Vancouver. And we worked to brew delicious beer with friends at several breweries in the US, including ones in Michigan, Idaho, Washington, and California. 2014 will involve many more fun and delicious collaborations, including one with Sierra Nevada for their Beer Camp series. Clear some space in your fridge now!
13) We also collaborated with Business Oregon to create Oregon Beer, the first brew for the state of Oregon!
14) We were featured on FOX Business during SAVORto talk about the craft beer industry and our growth as a company.
15) We worked with Oregon State University to help lead a Craft Brewery Startup Workshop to help aspiring brewers learn the nuts and bolts of starting a brewery.
16) We opened our Local Distribution facility so we can provide the highest level of service to the local community!
We even brewed a beer to celebrate our local craft beer supporters!
17) And last, but definitely not least, we got to hang out A LOT with all of you!
We poured beer, chatted with beer lovers and introduced hundreds of people to Ninkasi at hundreds of events across all of the states that we distribute. It's hard to believe that after a year like this one, 2014 could be any better. But guess what guys? It's going to be! CHEERS to more great beers and more fun in the new year!