Oatmeal Ice Cream + Vanilla Oatis Oatmeal Stout BeerJul 14, 2017 Comments (1)
- 1 12oz bottle Vanilla Oatis Oatmeal Stout
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups half n half
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2/3 cup loose brown sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- Melt butter in skillet over medium heat. Add oats and stir to coat them. Continue to stir oats in skillet until they become aromatic and light brown in color (about 5-6 minutes).
- Remove oats from skillet and place them in a bowl or large measuring cup. Cover with 12 oz of Vanilla Oatis Oatmeal Stout. Allow to sit for two hours at room temperature until oats absorb most of the beer.
- After two hours, pour oat and beer mixture into a blender and blend until it is coarsely chopped and well mixed (7-8 good pulses). Set aside.
- Place 4 egg yolks into a small bowl and whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat add half-and-half, cream, sugar, and salt. Stir constantly until mixture begins to steam. Remove about ½ cup of the liquid and slowly whisk into egg yolks to temper them. Once whisked in, add egg mixture to pan with the liquid and stir until mixture thickens (about 10 minutes).
- Remove mixture from heat and pour into a bowl. Add oat and beer mixture to it. Chill mixture overnight.
- Before adding to your ice cream maker, pour mixture through a large mesh sieve, pressing to get all the liquid out of the oats. Discard oats and freeze ice cream according to machine instructions.
About the Author
Ben Prescott knows all things food, beer and wine. As Ninkasi’s Assistant Tasting Room Manager and a Certified Cicerone®, Ben’s knowledge extends far beyond beer styles. Want to learn more? Keep an eye out for his Beer 101 classes hosted monthly at the brewery!