Ninkasi Brewing Company Rebrands Vanilla Oatis, Retires Original OatisAug 11, 2016 Comments (8)
New Vanilla Oatis Packaging & 12oz. 6-Packs to Hit Shelves Late August
EUGENE, Ore.—Aug. 11, 2016—Ninkasi Brewing Company, an independent craft brewery based in Eugene, Oregon, announces a new look for its Flagship Series Stout, Vanilla Oatis. New Vanilla Oatis branding will roll out on all packages starting late August across the brewery’s distribution territory. For the first time, fans will also be able to find Vanilla Oatis in 12oz. 6-packs.
A favorite since 2009, Vanilla Oatis continues to satisfy Stout lovers across the nation. “This beer begins with the original Oatis recipe,” explains Jamie Floyd, Ninkasi founding brewer and co-founder. "The Oatis is an Oatmeal Stout, really dry finish, lots of roasted hints up front and a smooth mouth feel that comes from the rolled oats.”
The primary difference between Oatis and Vanilla Oatis is simply one ingredient: vanilla beans imported directly to Eugene from Madagascar. To achieve this higher level of decadence, whole vanilla beans are individually hand-split by Ninkasi’s cellar team before being added to the final stage of conditioning—the same process used to dry hop a beer. Floyd explains that the vanilla changes the complexity and the flavor profile of the beer and sweetens up the taste overall.
“We strive to create unique, full-flavored beers with interesting flavor profiles,” says Floyd. “Vanilla Oatis is the last of our Flagship Series beers to get an updated look this year; we’re excited to bring more attention to this delicious Stout.”
Ninkasi creative director, Nick Yarger, explains the intention of the rebrand is to reflect the “feminine perspective” of the beer. “Hand-drawn vanilla beans, hummingbirds and flowers elegantly grace the packaging and subtle warm tones contrast the heaviness of the beer,” explains Yarger.
As new Vanilla Oatis packaging rolls out, the brewery will begin to phase out its year-round offering of Oatis Oatmeal Stout. “Those who loved Oatis will enjoy Vanilla Oatis just as much,” says Floyd. “This beer is every bit as soul-satisfying as the original.”
Vanilla Oatis Stats
A divine blend of vanilla, coffee, chocolate, and roasted malt notes swirl together to create a smooth Oatmeal Stout with a crisp finish. The true signature of this beer comes from the addition of whole vanilla beans to the final stage of conditioning—the same process we use to dry hop a beer. Slightly sweet with a rich complexity, Vanilla Oatis is decadent and delicious.
- Style: Oatmeal Stout With Vanilla
- Series: Flagship Series
- Available: Year-round
- ABV: 7.0%
- IBU: 50
- Malt: 2-Row Pale, Chocolate, Crystal, Roasted Barley, Oats
- Hops: Nugget
- Packaging: 220z. bottles, draft, and 12oz. 6-packs available late August
- Distribution: Alaska; Alberta; Arizona; California; D.C.; Colorado; Idaho; Maryland; Nevada; New York; Oregon; Texas; Utah; Washington; Vancouver, British Columbia
- Tasting Notes: Vanilla Oatis Oatmeal Stout is characterized by a roasted front flavor, smooth rich oats, a touch of chocolate flavor, and a rich vanilla complexity imparted by whole vanilla beans. It is bigger than a traditional stout with more alcohol, body and a touch more bitterness to keep it balanced.
- Food Pairings: Desserts, Chocolate, Berries, Tortes, Gelato